Rumänien: Holy Synod makes decisions regarding Church life and societyThe Holy Synod of the Romanian Orthodox Church held its working session on July 4-5, 2017, at the Synodal Hall of the patriarchal residence. His Beatitude Daniel, Patriarch of Romania, chaired the meetings. The following decisions were taken by the members of the Holy Synod:
• The year 2019 was declared Solemn Year of the Romanian Village (of priests, teachers and skilled mayors), and Commemorative Year of Patriarchs Nicodim Munteanu and Justin Moisescu, and of the translators of church books.
• The Holy Synod accepted the proposal of the Metropolitan Synod (Episcopal Assembly) of Muntenia and Dobrudja to glorify Venerable Paphnutius – Parvu the Iconographer (1657-1735). The official canonization ceremony will take place on 6 August 2017, with St. Paphnutius being celebrated annually the following day, August 7.
• The Holy Synod approved the inclusion of Saint Porphyrios of Kavsokalyvia into the calendar of the Romanian Orthodox Church, on December 2, as well as his troparion, kontakion, Synaxarion, and icon.
• Several liturgical texts were also approved, including the Akathist to Hieromartyr Irenaeus, bishop of Sirmium (April 6), the service and Akathist to the holy martyrs Pasikrates and Valentin from Durostorum (April 24), and the Akathist to St. Anthony of Iezerul-Vilcea Skete (November 23.
• The Synod decided to organize the 2018 International Meeting of Orthodox Youth at Sibiu, the see of the Metropolis of Transylvania.
• It was decided to establish a University extension of the Justinian Patriarch Faculty of Orthodox Theology from Bucharest to Rome, Italy.
• The Synod approved the establishment of a Sacred Art Department at the Faculty of History, Philosophy and Theology of the Lower Danube University in Galati, starting with the academic year 2017-2018.
• Given the context of the phenomenon of today’s secularization, it is necessary to renew the spiritual and moral life of church ministers of all ranks, of monastics living in monasteries and sketes, as well as of lay believers in parishes and in every church institution. In this regard, the Metropolitan Synods of the Romanian Patriarchate will periodically analyze the discipline of clergy and laity, and will propose the Holy Synod concrete solutions for the promotion of spiritual life. (Quelle: Basilica.ro, 7. Juli 2017)