Rumänien: Three Saints added to the calendar of the Romanian Orthodox ChurchOn October 5, the Holy Synod of the Romanian Orthodox Church held its working session at the Synodal Hall of the Patriarchal Residence in Bucharest. During the session chaired by His Beatitude Patriarch Daniel, the Holy Synod rendered the following decisions.
- The Holy Synod glorified Metropolitan Joseph Naniescu, with the name of Saint Joseph the Merciful, Metropolitan of Moldavia, with his feast day to be commemorated on January 26.
- The Holy Synod canonized the lay-ascetic George Lazar, with the name of Saint George the Pilgrim, with his feast day to be commemorated on August 17.
- Saint Neophyte the Recluse was included in the calendar of the Romanian Orthodox Church beginning with the year 2019, with his feast day to be commemorated on September 28.
- The text of the Akathist hymn to Martyrs Donatus the deacon, Romulus the priest, Silvanus the deacon, and Venustus celebrated on August 21 was approved.
- The Holy Synod approved the organization of the national contest “Union: freedom and unity” during the events dedicated to the Solemn Year of the Unity of Faith and Nation and Commemorative Year of the Founders of the Great Union of Romania in 1918. Students in secondary education are invited to participate in the contest. The national award ceremony will take place on the patronal feast of the Patriarchal Cathedral, 21 May 2018.
- The Holy Synod approved the proposal of His Eminence Iosif, Romanian Orthodox Metropolitan of Western and Southern Europe, to establish an Episcopal position for an assistant bishop to the Romanian Orthodox Archdiocese of Western Europe.
- The Holy Synod approved the proposal of His Grace Siluan, Romanian Orthodox Bishop of Italy, to establish an Episcopal position for an assistant bishop to the Romanian Orthodox Diocese of Italy.
(Quelle: www.basilica.ro, 6. Oktober 2017)